When you’re at the gym, do you wash your hands before AND after using every machine? Do you bring your own water bottle or drink directly from the tap? Do you bring your own mat and/or towel (and do you clean them often)? Do you always shower after your workout?
If you answered “no” to any of these questions, then you are putting yourself at risk of multiple infections, which thrive in a gym’s hot and humid environment. Just think of all those sweaty hands that touched the treadmill before you jumped on! According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, 80% of the most common infections can be spread through contaminated hands.
Our golden rules:
Choose your gym carefully and find out how often the gym is cleaned (and how).
- Always clean machines with a disinfectant before AND after using them.
- Spread a towel on the bench before sitting down.
- Shower after every workout (and always wear flip flops).
- Change out of your gym clothes as soon as your workout is over.
- Always wash your hands before touching your face.
- And above all, if you’re sick or have an infection, avoid going to the gym for at least a week or until you are no longer contagious.
By following these tips, you won’t have to worry so much about all those disgusting microscopic creatures lurking at the gym.
Have a great workout!