More and more of us are looking for ways to make our daily lives more eco-responsible. By reducing our ecological footprint, we can improve everyone’s quality of life. But did you know that being environmentally responsible is not just good for the planet?
Adopting a greener lifestyle can also save you time and money – especially when it comes to things like maintaining your swimming pool!
Here are some expert tips and advice on how you can reduce your pool’s maintenance costs… and environmental impacts.
- Cover your pool – This will reduce the amount of water, chemicals and heat lost through evaporation. A triple gain in just one step.
- Use a two-speed pump – Use a two-speed pump during peak periods, when the water is being circulated by swimmers. This will significantly reduce energy consumption and extend the life of you pump.
- Update your equipment – Replace your 1-speed pump with a free magnet variable speed pump and see savings of 30% to 70% right from the very first month. Also keep in mind that older models of pool water heaters are not as efficient as today’s heat pumps.
- Point your jets downward – Pointing your return jets downward will direct heated water toward the bottom of the pool, allowing it to warm up faster than jets directed just a few inches below the water’s surface.
- Use EcoLogo™ products to maintain your pool water – EcoLogo™ certified products are the only products certified by the government to be non-toxic, non-irritating, biodegradable, phosphate-free and safe for you, your family and the environment.
- Use enzymes – Natural enzymes are an excellent and environmentally-friendly way to remove organic build-up in your pool. Enzymes can significantly improve water quality and reduce the amount of chlorine needed.
- Keep your pool clean – Allowing debris and leaves to accumulate in your pool forces the pump to work harder and will increase the amount of chemicals needed. Keeping your pool and surrounding areas free of debris and leaves will reduce chemical use and energy consumption.
- Choose solar – Solar heating is the most environmentally friendly option out there and will pay for itself within 4 to 5 years. Adding solar lights around your pool will also promote safety without consuming any electricity. Low-voltage lighting is another good alternative.