Biofilms are reservoirs of harmful bacteria of all kinds in a healthcare setting. These include antibiotic-resistant organisms. The spread of infection from such pathogens hiding within biofilms in drains in healthcare facilities is well documented and an emerging concern in healthcare.
To help remove the guesswork in controlling biofilms in drains, Sani Marc has created the Bioassure Process. This unique and effective treatment is based on Sani Marc’s Bioassure disinfectant and offers measurable results for controlling the risk of infection from drain biofilms. Bioassure is the first DIN-registered disinfectant in Canada with a label claim against biofilms. It effectively destroys biofilms and kills the bacteria they contain in just 5 minutes of contact time.
The following tips will help you better understand how to optimize your biofilm control program using the Bioassure Process:
- Understand that biofilm control is part of the new standard in cleaning for health in patient/resident rooms. This is important for addressing the contamination of drains in isolation areas where carbapenemase-producing enterobacteria (CPE) or other antibiotic-resistant pathogens have been detected, as well as in any other areas where the risk of transmission to patients is a concern.
- Ensure only trained staff use the machine. Anyone who can pump gas can become an expert on the machine after just one hour of training and one hour of hands-on use. Training videos are also available to help users maintain their skill set if their use of the machine is infrequent.
- Plan to use the machine first where you will get the most benefit – These include rooms under contact isolation precautions, ICU, OR, NICU, Burn Units, as well as in any rooms where the presence of CPE or CPKP has been detected in the drain. Dedicating up to 5 hours per week will allow you to control biofilms in approximately 50 drains. Adding another 10 hours per week will enable you to carry out a risk-based treatment plan that covers your entire facility.
- Use Bioassure Preparation first to clean partially clogged or heavily contaminated drains. The Bioassure Preparation treatment cleans the surface of pipes and will increase the effectiveness of the Bioassure treatment. All soiled surfaces should be cleaned before attempting to disinfect them. This principle applies to drains as well.
- Remember to treat biofilms of shower drains as well as handwashing/washroom sinks. Shower drain biofilms can also be a reservoir of pathogens.
- Educate staff, patients/residents and visitors. Use signs and other methods to inform them that food, drinks and waste should not be poured down the sink drain to minimize biofilm growth.
Learn more about our solution to eliminate biofilms: http://www.sanimarc.com/bioassure/